The 6th ‘Afroeuropeans’ biennial network conference will take place at the University of Tampere, Finland, 6-8 July 2017. The general theme is African diaspora and European cultural heritage. Submissions are encouraged exploring the topics below as well as proposals on other topics related to African/Black European communities and cultures:
- African diaspora and European cultural heritage
- Policing blackness; African/Black European politics
- Shifting political landscapes and European post-colonial discontents
- Afroeuropean mediascapes; Diaspora communities online; Diasporic experience and digital media
- Social justice and human rights in AfroEurope
- Performing africanness/blackness in Europe
- Writing and translating new African diaspora and black identities in Europe
- Afroeuropean music cultures; Afroeuropean dance scenes
- Blackness in visual arts in Europe
- Children of the African diaspora in Europe; Afroeuropean youth cultures
- AfroQueer Europe; Afroeuropean feminisms
- Global racisms and AfroEurope
- Refugees from Africa in Europe
Proposed sessions should be organized to be 90 minutes in length, and each speaker (3-4 per session) should be given 15-20 minutes for his/her presentation.
For further information about the call for papers and abstract submission (by the deadline: 24 February 2017), please visit the University of Tampere website at http://www.uta.fi/yky/en/6thafroeuropeans/callforsessions.html.
Details about the previous conference, held at the University of Münster (Germany), feature in the blog post Memory and Museums at ‘AfroEuropeans V’.